Filmmaker David Lynch is known for his surrealist films and ability to disturb, offend and mystify audiences.
For the first time ever, we’re presenting a selection of Lynch’s finest films over one exciting week, featuring some of his most renowned and critically acclaimed titles. Tune in from Monday through Friday at 9.30pm for World Movies Focus On: David Lynch to experience some of his best work – including Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Eraserhead, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and Lost Highway.
To get you in the zone for a week filled with some of Lynch’s greatest films, we’ve pulled together a few facts you may not have known about this unique director.
1. He always buttons the top button of his shirt, because he feels too vulnerable with the top button open.
2. He came up with the title of the film Lost Highway from a phrase in a novel by Barry Gifford, Night People.
3. He had lunch every day at Bob’s Big Boy in Los Angeles for seven years, ordering a chocolate milkshake and up to seven cups of coffee with sugar.
4. He served as Grand Jury President for the 2002 Cannes Film Festival.
5. He voices the character of Gus the Bartender (based on him) on The Cleveland Show.
6. He dissected a cat during the making of Eraserhead to help give him ideas for textures for the film.
7. He has his own line of organic coffee, ‚ÄòDavid Lynch Signature Cup.’
8. He advocates the use of Transcendental Meditation in bringing peace to the world.
9. For a number of years, Lynch would give a daily weather report on his website and YouTube channel.
10. Although more widely known for his films, Lynch first trained as a painter. He continues to paint in his free time.
11. He supported himself during the 5-year-long Eraserhead shoot by delivering the Wall Street Journal on a paper route.
12. He started smoking when he was five-years-old.